Do you wonder why visit a physiotherapist? There are many reasons to visit a physiotherapist. Our WIN Physiotherapist, Mandeep Sethi Singh, shares a number of reasons why visiting a physiotherapist can benefit you.
What is a physiotherapist’s expertise?
Physiotherapists study the science of movement. They learn how to pinpoint an injury’s root causes.
They are the experts to understand the biomechanical cause of the injury and target it to realign the bodily structures.
This realigning consists of soft tissue therapy, manual therapy, therapeutic exercises, movement with mobilization, high thrust techniques and many more.
When should I go see a physiotherapist?
Think about getting physiotherapy if you have an injury, or chronic pain that affects how you function everyday.
A doctor may refer you to physiotherapy after surgery such as a hip or knee replacement, or an event such as a fracture, heart attack or stroke.
What problems do physiotherapists treat?
Physiotherapists focus on both prevention and rehabilitation. Treatment can be for problems caused by injury, disease or disability.
Here are some examples:
- Neck and back pain caused by problems in the muscles and skeleton
- Problems in the bones, joints, muscles and ligaments, such as arthritis and the after-effects of amputation
- Lung problems such as asthma
- Disability as a result of heart problems
- Pelvic issues, such as bladder and bowel problems related to childbirth
- Loss of mobility because of trauma to the brain or spine, or due to diseases such as Parkinson’s disease and multiple sclerosis
- Fatigue, pain, swelling, stiffness and loss of muscle strength, for example during cancer treatment, or palliative care
What can I expect at physiotherapy?
Your session will be unique, because it is all about you and your particular needs. In general, here’s what happens:
- The physiotherapist learns about your medical history
- The physiotherapist assesses and diagnoses your condition
- You receive a treatment plan that sets goals for you
- You are prescribed a course of exercises and any assistive devices needed
Here’s a look at Mandeep in action during a physiotherapy visit at WIN Health:
View this post on Instagram
If you are looking for treatment options to help improve your health after experiencing any of the concerns mentioned in this article, visiting a physiotherapist at WIN Health can help you. Our WIN Physiotherapists offer professional, one-on-one care that is comprehensive and tailored to best suit your health needs.