Osteopathy is a system of manual therapy techniques that encourage the body to heal itself. It focuses on the whole body, not just the injured or affected area.
Fun Facts About Osteopathy
· It is based on a couple of principals: that the body itself is a unit of function, that structure and function and interrelated at all levels, and that the body is self-healing and self-protecting.
· It uses hands-on techniques to correct altered body mechanics and improve circulation.
· It compliments all other healthcare professions and can be used in conjunction with other therapies.
· It can be beneficial during rehabilitation, but is also key for prevention.
· Osteopathic treatments can improve overall health by positively affecting the nervous, circulatory and lymphatic systems.
The founder of Osteopathy, Andrew Taylor Still, was an American physician who became frustrated with his failures of conventional medicine and became compelled to develop alternative methods to heal the body. He developed osteopathy as a holistic method of allowing the body to heal itself, following the above principals. He maintained the philosophy that the body can operate smoothly over the course of the lifespan if it is properly maintained, and that every living organism has the ability to produce all of the necessary chemicals and materials to free itself of ailments.
What can Osteopathy help treat?
Osteopathy can help treat headaches, pain, injury, arthritis, fibromyalgia, digestive issues, and postural problems, and can also help with the nervous, circulatory and lymphatic systems.
What should I expect?
Osteopathic manual therapy involves gentle mobilization of the spine, joints, and soft tissues. Treatment can include gentle pressure, stretching and resistance. The techniques aim to free restrictions to bring the body into a state of natural balance where it can function at its best.
Osteopathy emphasizes holistic self-healing – so your manual osteopath may also discuss dietary changes, home exercise and lifestyle adjustments.
If you have more questions about how Osteopathy can help your concern, or you’d like to add Osteopathic treatment to your self care options, feel free to visit with me at WIN Health Solutions. I can discuss your health concern with you, assess your concern and then offer an individualized Osteopathic treatment plan.